NOTICE OF VACANCY IN OFFICE OF COUNCILLOR
MARKFIELD PARISH COUNCIL
There is a Parish Councillor vacancy on Markfield Parish Council and this position will be filled by co-option at a meeting of the Council. Should more than one application be received for the vacancy, the Parish Councillors will decide the appointment by a vote, or series of votes, in order to obtain a majority decision.
To be considered for co-option, applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria (Local Government Act 1972 s. 79):
- Be registered as a Local Government Elector for the Parish on the current Electoral Register.
- Have during the whole of the previous 12 months occupied as tenant or owner any land or other premises in the Parish. Or Has had his/her principal or only place of work in the previous 12 months in the Parish of Markfield.
- Have resided either in the Parish or within 3 miles thereof during the previous 12 months.
- Must not be disqualified from holding office as a Councillor
A person is disqualified if they (Local Government Act 1972 s. 80)
- Hold any paid office or employment to which they have been appointed by the Council
- Are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
- Have within five years of the day of co-option been convicted of any offence and has had passed on them a sentence of imprisonment for a period of not less than three months (whether suspended or not) without option of a fine
- Have been found guilty of corrupt or illegal practices or have been responsible for incurring unlawful expenditure and the court orders their disqualification
Applicants should note that Councillors are expected to attend monthly meetings usually on the first Tuesday of the month at 7.30pm and to represent the electors of Markfield in raising and discussing issues of interest on which the Parish Council is empowered to act. Applicants are invited to attend a monthly meeting prior to submitting their application.
Anyone wishing to be considered for co-option should contact the parish office for an application pack (containing a Person Specification, eligibility form and meeting dates).
The closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 12 July 2021